Brainstorming

>> Saturday, July 25, 2009

Even though I'm eager to jump in with both feet and introduce the Little Lady to "school," I've realized I need to put a little more time into researching and planning for the skills and knowledge I want my daughter to acquire.

I did come across one site, Brightly Beaming Resources, that offers a complete curriculum -- mapped out week by week. There are a lot of things I really like about this particular site, one of which is the fact that their various curriculum is sorted by AGE! I haven't come across many sites that do this -- most toddler and preschool activities/lessons are simply lumped together in a hodge-podge list. That may work for some, but it doesn't for me. I do not have time to go through each activity to find ones that will work for a 25 month old.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about accepting a premade curriculum. I guess its the independent, obstinate side of my brain, but I'd like to have a little more of a hand in developing the weekly lessons for the Little Lady. Of course, I understand that I can take or leave activities, lessons, or modify the suggested ones. I just need to take the time to do it!



I *think* I've decided that I'd rather start slowly, with one or two concepts a week, to help gage how quickly the Little Lady will progress. But, as I've mentioned in my first post, what the heck do I know about teaching pre-schoolers? How does this work for you? Do you focus on one or two things a week . . . or do you a little bit of everything throughout the week?

Here are the objectives that I want to focus on for the first several weeks (possibly months, depending on how things go once the baby arrives):

  • Colors
  • Shapes
  • Counting
  • Letter Recognition
  • Personal Name Recognition
  • Bible Stories (ongoing lessons)

Actually, that is probably enough for a few months, now that I look at the list. Now, if I could only decide on how many objectives to have per week!!!!

0 comments: